Day 2. Learning.
I’ve now had two days of classes, and I’ve had at least one class meeting of every class but one. (That one is just on Mondays…) I couldn’t be more excited about them; I’m pretty happy with that fact, since I can’t really drop any of them or anything like that. I’m already learning oh so much, but I can’t help but sharing the few things that I’ve learned and really enjoyed.
First of all, I’ve installed a dictionary app on my phone, which means when I’m reading or my friends are reading, I look up the new words. Not only new words, but also words I know in context but have never actually looked up to get a sense of the nuances. Just today, I’ve looked up five words. Think of it as GRE studying (even though I’m not taking the GRE). Or just living life.
- Ineffable – too great, powerful, beautiful, etc. to be described
- Heady – causing feelings of excitement or dizziness
- Lumpen – of or relating to dispossessed and uprooted individuals cut off from the economic and social class with which they might normally be identified
- Trenchant – very strong, clear, and effective
- Chicanery – actions or statements that trick people into believing something that is not true, deception or trickery
In addition to the words, and the Chinese and Japanese history, (interestingly, I am currently studying Japanese history in my Political Science class, where we are looking at the beginnings of Japanese-American interactions, but I am also studying general Japanese history in my Japanese class in Japanese, of course) I am also learning little pieces of African wisdom in my Dance class. Like these:
Energy is like wisdom – the more you use, the more you get.
Listen now, hear me later.
I’ve also been reading a lot (60+ pages so far today) and setting up my house. I’ve discovered that the necessary steps to living an independent life, like making and cleaning up after meals, keeping the house clean, etc. take more time when you don’t have parents and siblings to fall back on. Life is a lot easier when one person cooks and someone else cleans…
Life is busier than I expected, but I’ll continue posting as much as I can!